08 February 2011

When You Do It, I'll Do It

Recently during a time of prayer I was crying out to God about my heart. If you are anything like me you know the feeling of "not good enoughness" that tends to creep in from time to time. I mean as much as I understand grace theologically I should be the first to embrace it practically.

But there lies my problem...grace is good enough to cover everyone else's sins except mine.

Now I don't go right out and say that to myself, but under the surface I believe it to be true. I understand that God is love and that Christ's outstretched arms on the Cross are proof that I am special to him, but I know what I do on a daily basis. I'm there sitting in the front row of my life witnessing every negative thought, every slip of the lip, every frustrated moment, every day-dream of killing my boss, every selfish argument with my wife, every time I pull the dogs' leash a little too tightly, every time etc.

I wish I had a restart button.

It was during this "God my heart is crap and so am I" prayer that I was reminded of something that I had advised our church recently (I hate it when my own words are used against me), James 4.8 says, "Draw near to God and he will draw near to you."

That's the answer!

It's so simple...

...a little too simple...

So you mean to tell me this whole time that instead of waiting on God to spiritually thump my heart and make me "on fire" again all I have to do is make the first move?!!?

It was then that I heard God's voice speaking to my heart. "When you do it, I'll do it."

Don't wait on "God" or whatever lame excuse anymore! Get up, get out, and make something happen. Stop rolling over in the mud of your daily sins and struggles. Throw them at the foot of the Cross and make the first move!!!!

Why?

"When you do it, I'll do it!"

1 comment: